Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Small town paralegal in the city. Once ran a law office, now being run by one. Med mal defense litigation. I think it's growing on me.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Politicking Paralegal

It may just be the season, but I have been noticing more and more paralegals entering the political arena in 2010.

In Arizona, paralegal Amanda Reeves has been chosen to replace Sam Crump, a lawmaker who just resigned his Legislative District 6 House seat to chase his other political dreams. She was chosen over two other candidates: a U.S. Army officer and a trauma surgeon. I would say she was in good company to begin with.

Meanwhile, a licensed paralegal in California is planning on challenging the incumbent public administrator for his position in June. This story comes with a twist. Colleen Callahan is trying to unseat her former boss. (There's one reason to always be nice to your staff, people.) Says Callahan, as quoted by the Orange County Register, “I know it’s a long shot, but it’s not right for him to be there,” Callahan said. “I’ve seen so many people hurt and great employees he pushed out. We’re there to service the public.”

As someone who likes to be involved in my community, I understand the desire to get out there and make a difference, whether small or big. I encourage any other paralegals out there contemplating a career in politics to jump right in! It can be as simple a move as joining your local planning and zoning commission (I volunteer on my town's, and it is veeery interesting) or as big as announcing a run for state congress. Either way, make the differences you can make, doing what you do. The important thing is to be involved in a positive way.


[2/21/10 Editor's Note: Thanks to Vicki Voisin for pointing out that despite the language of the article in the Orange County Register, no state currently licenses paralegals. I assume the correct language here is "certified," though I am basing that on a best guess. I do not personally know Callahan's certification status.]

2 comments:

  1. Melissa...I'd like to point out here that Ms. Callahan cannot be a licensed paralegal. There is not licensing for paralegals, not in California or in any other state. I have requested that Ms. Callahan correct her credentials as she goes forth with her campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the correction, Vicki.

    ReplyDelete